Chartplotter and AIS for 100€ ?

Hier alleen technische onderwerpen plaatsen die op meerdere typen betrekking hebben.

Moderator: admin

Plaats reactie
AndreasW
Contacteer:

Chartplotter and AIS for 100€ ?

Bericht door AndreasW »

Hi Friendshippers,

I you use a tablet it´s possible to get a full functional chartplotter with ais an board.
You can use opencpn on a raspberry pi 2 (or3) in combination with a wlan stick and a small ais reciver "dAISy". You can use free downloadcharts or you transfer your paper- to rastercharts.
After that you get a full functional chartplotter with AIS tracking and alert (cpa/tcpa) function. The program runs on the pi and via a lokal wlan you use your tablet or Smartphone as a control and Screen.

The pi is as big as a small cigaret box and the power consumption ist round about 400mA.

There are some websides online for instructions so I decided to try it. Since january I´m playing around with this small pice of technik and I find it useful.

Regards

Andreas
R.Beerman
Contacteer:

Re: Chartplotter and AIS for 100€ ?

Bericht door R.Beerman »

Hello Andreas,

i'm interested in the topic you wrote on AIS.
Do you have any links where we can find more information about building such a system setup?

YS,
Ruud
Gert
Contacteer:

Bericht door Gert »

Kijk een op het zeilersforum.
En dan zoeken op onderwerp.
Of vanuit Google
AndreasW
Contacteer:

Bericht door AndreasW »

Hi,

sorry, I didn´t look at this thread a long time, so a little bit late Reaktion.

In short:

Get a raspberry pi (it works with both the pi2 and the pi3 but it seems that the pi2 is more stable).
Get an OS for the pi. I use the Linux-OS for the pi, it´s calling Jessie. You will get it on the pi´s web site.
Install an wlan stick witch can use as an acesspoint.
To get it work, you have to write some config files.
Get and install opencpn
Get a Serial to usb Adapter and connect it with your nmea net (e.g. for gps-Data)
Get the AIS-"Dongle" and connect it with the pi (and an antenna).
Be happy.

There is a site from the opencpn-developers. There you find a link to a Forum. There are some threads ofer oc and the pi.
In this forum I wrote something about it (in german) https://www.segeln-forum.de/board1-rund ... fahrungen/ post 8.
When using an EDIMAX-WLAN Stick as described you don´t need to change the hostapd.
You can find some Information about the dAISy AIS here https://www.tindie.com/products/astuder ... -receiver/

Regards

Andreas
Plaats reactie