Looking for instructions on how to lay down the mast

Moderator: Reinier

Plaats reactie
sczssbootswart
Contacteer:

Looking for instructions on how to lay down the mast

Bericht door sczssbootswart »

Hello from Switzerland!
Yes, we even have Friendship's 26 in Switzerland! I know at least another one on the Lake of Zurich :D

I'm looking for some instructions on how to put the mast down correctly. Some of our club members have done it years ago and we managed to get the mast down last autumn but I would like to get more experienced advise how to do it and what has to be considered. I don't know if there is even a manual for that!?

Here some photos from our FS-26 in last autumn: https://picasaweb.google.com/sczssboots ... szJjO3FmwE

Any help is really appreciated and will be rewarded with some chocolate!
You can write your answer in Dutch, my father in law is half Dutch and he can translate it for me.

Best regards René
PS: Sorry for writing in English, my Dutch is too verschrikkelijk
Sailor09
Contacteer:

Re: Looking for instructions on how to lay down the mast

Bericht door Sailor09 »

Hello to Switzerland,

Fortunatly You can read Dutch.
There is a manual to put down the mast in Dutch for the FS28.
The methode is not different for a FS 26.
The photographs will help You probably.
You can find it in the first subject (Oude vragen en antwoorden) in the forum for the FS28 by subject 24.

If the are more questions, ask or email me.

Good luck.
Twee weten meer dan een.
sczssbootswart
Contacteer:

Hello Sailor,
Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I saw your other post under "maststrijkinstalaatie" the other day and the document attached there definitely helps (Handleiding Maststrijken v4.0.pdf)! Haven't found anything in English though but Google Translate is my friend :-)
I clearly can see that we haven't used some sort of stabilizer for the "spiboom" (funny, in Swiss German this is called almost the same "Spibaum"). But we hardly have any waves on our Lake, so somebody was taking care by "hand". I try to create something similar for the FS-26 and post it here.
Regards René
FS26_Barracuda
Contacteer:

Bericht door FS26_Barracuda »

René, two taut lines from the tip of the spi-boom to either sides (preventing it from flipping aside) will do the job.
A lot of "common sense" helps as well. Raising/lowering masts has never been my favorite hobby. Fortunately the FS26 has "raised" main-stays on both sides, preventing the mast to sweep to much. One remark: I saw on the very nice photos that you've traveled the entire lake with the mast just supported by the cabin roof and its own mast-foot-hinge. This is a recipe for disaster! Please only travel with the mast in the support crotch (that you did use for winter storage) at the backside of the boat. Otherwise you stand a fair chance of the hinge breaking and/or breaking out of the roof-top!!! Luckily the sailing season starts again :-) Best regards, Hielke
Hielke van Oostrum

Hurley 800 #354
"Arion" @ WV Schiphol Aalsmeer

ex FS26 "Barracuda" kielmidzwaard :-)
sczssbootswart
Contacteer:

Hello Hielke,
thank you for your reply and that you mentioned the way we (not) supported the mast! I'll only use the crotch from now on! At the beginning I wasn't even aware that we have such a thing as it was stored at another place. The first time I saw the crotch was at the place where we lifted the boat. I think we were just lucky!! :?
Have a nice season and best regards
René
Plaats reactie